According to 90% of marketers, digital engagement strategies completely changed during the COVID-19 pandemic (Salesforce, 2021). The marketing software industry has become more diverse with the integration of artificial intelligence (AI). If we are to examine closely the latest marketing software statistics, we will see an industry that has seen how technology can increase operational efficiency, but at the same time is still discovering how to harness its true potential.
Advancements in AI have also made marketing more personal. Campaigns are now focused and targeted based on each consumer’s preferences, as dictated by online behavior. These changing customer expectations now dictate digital strategies—a sentiment shared by 84% of marketers (Salesforce, 2021).
The following marketing software statistics provide key information needed for formulating a sound strategy for 2022. Here, we present the collective insights of marketing experts on the latest technologies and software adoption behavior shaping the marketing software industry.
State of Marketing Software Industry Statistics
The automation of operations through the use of software tools has facilitated unprecedented growth in the marketing industry. The wide penetration of smartphones provided access to consumers and enabled marketers to gather huge amounts of customer data. The following digital marketing industry growth statistics show the signs of a high-growth industry that is yet to achieve its full potential.
- The marketing automation software market is expected to be worth $11.46 billion in 2027, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 17.67% (Research and Markets, 2021).
- From 2022 to 2030, the predicted CAGR for the marketing automation software market is at 10.23% (Yahoo Finance, 2022).
- The global social media management software market is expected to reach $1.31 billion by 2024 at a CAGR of 18% (MarketWatch, 2021).
- The email marketing software market will reach $2.53 billion by 2028 as fueled by the adoption of digital marketing (Fortune Business Insights, 2022).
- The global content marketing software market is expected to reach $21.91 billion by 2028 (Newswires, 2021).
Email marketing may seem obsolete but the rise of nurture emails has proven that email remains a strong marketing channel that delivers the highest ROI—$36 to $1 (Litmus, 2021). These data on automated emails show that this channel remains strong and will continue to benefit from technological advances in the marketing industry.
- Compared to non-automated emails, 320% more revenue is driven from automated emails (Campaign Monitor, 2019).
- Traffic from email campaigns has an average conversion rate of 4.29% which is higher than the average traffic from search, direct, and social media (Business.com, 2021).
- 68% of email campaigns are being opened on mobile devices (Campaign Monitor, 2019).
- 60% of consumers made a purchase as a result of email marketing (Constant Contact, 2022).
- Email marketing delivers $36 for every $1 spent (Litmus, 2021)
- 77% of marketers reported seeing more engagement with email in 2021 (HubSpot, 2021).
Social media management tools also augmented marketing automation software. When used together, social media management tools and marketing automation software are able to collect crucial information that reinforces market strategies.
- Technology and tools spending is a top priority for 16% of B2B and 19% of B2C marketers (Salesforce, 2021).
- 59% of marketers agree that technology will have a significant impact on strategy (Salesforce, 2021).
- 8 in 10 companies invested in social media marketing in 2021 (HubSpot, 2021).
- In 2021, 69% of marketers invested in SEO (HubSpot, 2021)
- Account-based marketing (ABM) programs have become a cornerstone of overall marketing strategies, commanding 15% of B2B marketing budgets (Salesforce, 2021).
- 69% of marketers agree that video is the top content marketing-related area of investment for 2022 (Content Marketing Institute, 2021).
Marketing Software Adoption Statistics
Nine in 10 marketers believe that personalization is imperative to overall business strategy (PR Newswire, 2021). This means that each customer should be able to receive the right content at the right time, which entails using tools that can keep a tab on customer activities and preferences.
The following marketing automation statistics mirror an industry that is willing to experiment with new tools but at the same time willing to keep tried and tested methods that drive strategy.
- 63% of marketers use the same customer relationship management (CRM) system as their sales and service departments (Salesforce, 2021).
- Marketers use automation software 76% more than sales agents and 139% more than finance professionals (HubSpot, 2021).
- 69% of customers expect connected experiences, thus marketers have to integrate their CRM system with sales, service, and ecommerce (Salesforce, 2021).
- 58% of marketers are using automation for task management, 42% for content automation, and 31% for chatbots (Hubspot, 2021).
- 78% of marketing organizations have adopted new work collaboration technology due to the pandemic, with 85% using video conferencing and 82% using channel-based communication (Salesforce, 2021).
- 72% of marketers use reporting tools but only 53% use attribution or personalized reporting (HubSpot, 2021).
- 66% of marketers can measure campaign performance in real-time while 64% uses automated measurement and attribution (Salesforce, 2021).
- B2C marketers used an average of six data sources in 2020, nine in 2021 and are expected to reach 12 by 2022 (Marketing Charts, 2021).
- In 2021, 62% of marketers agree that social listening is the primary tool for social media marketing (HubSpot, 2021).
- Marketers expect a 40% increase in the number of data sources they use in 2022 (ZDNet, 2021).
- 33% of marketers are completely satisfied with their ability to create more relevant experiences with customer data (Salesforce, 2021).
- The number of businesses using video as a marketing tool increased from 61% in 2016 to 81% in 2021 (Wyzowl, 2021).
- 78% of marketers use a customer data platform (Salesforce, 2021).
- 69% of US customers prefer using chatbots when engaging with brands (Salesforce, 2021).
- In 2021, 87% of video marketers used the YouTube platform (Wyzowl, 2021).
- 88% of customers expect companies to accelerate digital initiatives (Salesforce, 2021).
- 78% of marketers say their customer engagement is data-driven (Demand Gen Report, 2021).
- The use of mobile applications saw a staggering 98% increase in 2021 while mobile push notifications saw a 145% growth (Salesforce, 2021).
- 67% of organizations have implemented personalization in three to six channels, and 73% use insights from one channel to inform targeting in others (Merkle Inc., 2021).
- 46% of B2B marketers are satisfied with the technology used for account-based management (ABM) programs (Salesforce, 2021).
Aside from the abovementioned tools and strategies, marketers had a renewed relationship with email marketing in 2021. Email delivers personalization, automation, and privacy—three important strategies in the marketer’s toolbox. As a marketing channel, email features and functionalities are continually being enhanced by new technologies.
- Mobile-friendly email is a must-have in 2022 because 68% of email campaigns are being opened on mobile devices (Campaign Monitor, 2019).
- 90% of content marketers say email engagement is the top metric they track to measure content performance (Content Marketing Institute, 2021).
- 4 out of 5 marketers prefer email marketing over social media marketing (Litmus, 2021).
Most Popular Marketing Software
- HubSpot Marketing. A popular all-in-one marketing solution that tackles automation, lead management, content management, and social media monitoring. Learn more about this product in our HubSpot Marketing review.
- Pardot. A popular B2B marketing automation software that comes with functions for lead generation, sales alignment, and email marketing. For more information, check this in-depth Pardot review.
- monday.com. A collaboration and communication system that can be configured to map out marketing campaigns and streamline sales pipelines. To learn more about this product, see this monday.com review.
- Marketing Creatio. A CRM tool with an intuitive multi-channel marketing module that can support email marketing, content marketing, as well as lead nurturing. Check out its complete feature set in this Marketing Creatio review.
- TUNE. A marketing platform for managing partner programs but also offers tools for campaign optimization, email management, and lead generation. Learn how else this product works in our TUNE review.
AI-Driven Marketing Statistics
Between 2015 and 2021, the cost of acquiring new customers increased by 60% (HubSpot, 2021). Lead nurturing is one of the latest strategies being employed by marketers where personalized and conversational marketing is employed to engage existing customers.
Through the use of AI, marketers are able to know exactly how to support, engage, and convert customers into loyal brand advocates. Marketing is the domain where AI could contribute the greatest value. The following data points emphasize the crucial role of AI in making intelligent predictions, thus informing strategy.
- 37% of marketers believe AI is very important to the success of their marketing over the next 12 months (Drift, 2021).
- 41% of marketers are using AI to accelerate revenue growth and improve performance, 48% to get more actionable insights, and 38% to create personalized consumer experiences at scale (Forbes, 2021).
- High-performing marketing teams are 8.8 times more likely than underperformers to strongly agree that they have adopted a customer journey strategy (Salesforce, 2021).
- 47% of marketers used chatbots in 2021 (HubSpot, 2021).
- 60% of marketers have a fully defined AI marketing strategy (Salesforce, 2021).
- AI use in marketing increased by 190% from 2018 to 2020 (Hubspot, 2021).
- 43% of marketers believe that more than half of all marketing tasks will be intelligently automated to some degree in the next five years (Drift, 2021).
- Companies that prioritize lead nurturing generate almost 45% more sales at around 30% lower costs (Yahoo Finance, 2022).
- 82% of large companies believe AI has the potential to significantly improve alignment between sales and marketing (Harvard Business Review, 2021).
- While 34% of marketers are starting to pilot AI in data management and analysis, the marketing industry still has to address crucial issues when it comes to adopting AI in all aspects of operations (Drift, 2021).
- 50% of marketers classify themselves as AI beginners, 37% as intermediate users, and 13% as advanced (Drift, 2021).
- 47% of marketers are planning to increase the use of artificial intelligence (Salesforce, 2021).
- 58% of marketers advance their AI knowledge and capabilities by attending virtual or online events (Drift, 2021).
- When it comes to evaluating AI-powered technology, 69% of marketers rate their confidence as intermediate (Drift, 2021).
Data on Marketing Software Implementation Challenges
As marketers continue to search for the right data management solutions, they are continually integrating tools to be able to generate more data and deliver more value. The prioritization of customer experience and demand for higher ROI will continue to drive the optimization of processes.
Here, we list the challenges to which marketers continually seek solutions. These obstacles offer an opportunity for improvement as well as for innovation. AI may hold the key, but as we have seen with email, contemporary tools can still be useful and relevant in personalized marketing.
- 70% say lack of education and training is a top barrier to AI adoption (Drift, 2021).
- While maintaining customer privacy remains a challenge, 78% of marketers say they have a comprehensive view of all customer consent elections (ZDNet, 2021).
- 82% do not have internal AI-focused education and training (Drift, 2020).
- 64% of customers are concerned about the unethical use of AI (Salesforce, 2021).
- 9 in 10 marketers feel that understanding the ROI of marketing campaigns is extremely important (HubSpot, 2021).
- 86% of consumers want more transparency over how their personal information is used, while only 27% completely understand how companies use their personal information (Salesforce, 2021).
- Nearly 1 in 5 email campaigns is not optimized for mobile devices (HubSpot, 2021).
- In 2020, 32% of marketers that have adopted more AI capabilities agreed that their AI models did not perform as intended (McKinsey & Company, 2020).
- When it comes to creating social marketing strategies, 47% are unsure which KPIs matter (Sprout Social Index, 2021).
- Identifying the right platform remains a challenge — LinkedIn is used by 38% of social media marketers but only 6% of consumers use the platform to follow brands (Sprout Social Index, 2021).
- The median engagement rate for unpaid branded content on Instagram stands at just 0.31% (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2021).
- 25% of B2B marketers find that lack of integration with the organization’s process and tools is a major challenge when seeking outsourced B2B content marketing help (Content Marketing Institute, 2021).
- 28% of content marketers agree that technology integration is a hurdle to content marketing (Content Marketing Institute, 2021).
Marketing Software for Data-Driven Strategy
The rapid increase in smartphone use has enabled customers to access content anytime, anywhere. This provided marketers with access to huge amounts of data, which in turn facilitated the growth of the marketing software industry.
From the marketing software statistics 2022, we can easily assume that the marketing software industry will be required to mine more customer data and deliver personalized service to customers. However, challenges remain. Marketing trends show that the integration of different tools, as well as the increasing complexity of the use of data, will continue to be an opportunity for software developers to enhance features and functionalities.
With AI and machine learning, the marketing software industry will take up new markets. Marketing software will continue to facilitate data-driven decision-making and provide the tools that will enable marketers to make compelling customer insights.
- Afshar, V. (2021, August 12). Salesforce Research report: State of Marketing 2021. ZDNet
- Balakrishnan, T., Chui, M., Hall, B. and Henke, N. (2020, November 17). The State of AI in 2020. McKinsey & Company 2020
- Business News Daily (2021, December 2021). 7 Tech Trends That Will Influence Your Marketing Strategies in 2022. Business News Daily
- Campaign Monitor (2019, May 21). 7 Essential Tips to Creating Mobile-Friendly Emails. Campaign Monitor
- Campaign Monitor (2019, May 29). 58 Mind-Blowing Digital Marketing Stats You Need to Know. Campaign Monitor
- Columbus, L. (2021, February 21). 10 Ways AI And Machine Learning Are Improving Marketing In 2021. Forbes
- Constant Contact (2022, January 4). 10 Email Marketing Statistics You Need to Know. Constant Contact
- Content Marketing Institute (2021). B2B Content Marketing. Content Marketing Institute
- Davenport, T.H., Guja, A., Grewal, D. (2021). How to Design an AI Marketing Strategy. Harvard Business Review
- DVJ Insights (2021, September 14). Marketers Struggle with the Amount of Data. DVJ Insights
- Drift (2021). 2021 State of Marketing AI Report. Drift
- Fortune Business Insights (2022, January). Email Marketing Software Market Size, Share,and COVID-19 Impact Analysis. Fortune Business Insights
- Gasparyan D. (2022, January 3). Four Predictions For Marketing Software In 2022. Forbes
- Geyser, W. (2021, August 9). 5 of the Biggest Social Media Marketing Challenges. Influencer Marketing Hub
- Globe Newswire (2022, January). Email Marketing Software Market to Reach USD 2.53 billion by 2028; Increased Adoption of Digital Marketing by Organizations to Fuel Market Progress. Globe Newswire
- Globe Newswire (2021, December 23). Marketing Automation Software Industry to Cross $11.46 Billion by 2027 – Ongoing Shift Towards Digital-based Campaigns, Expedited by COVID-19. Globe Newswire
- HubSpot (2021). Not Another State of Marketing Report. HubSpot
- Imarc Group (2021) Digital Marketing Software Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2021-2026. Imarc Group
- Litmus (2021). 2021 State of Email. Litmus
- MarketWatch (2021, November 11). Global Social Media Management Software Market 2021 With Top Countries Data Industry Size Analyzed by Business Opportunity, Development, Growth Factors, Applications Analysis and Future Prospects 2024. MarketWatch
- Markets and Markets (2021, August). Social Media Management Market by Component (Solutions (Social Media Marketing, Social Media Asset and Content Management), Services), Deployment Mode, Organization Size, Application, (Sales and Marketing), Vertical – Global Forecast to 2026. Markets and Markets
- Marketing Charts (2021, September 1). 8 in 10 Marketers Say Their Customer Engagement is Data-Driven. Marketing Charts
- MarketWatch (2022, January 6). News Tech World News Digital Marketing Software Market 2022 Industry Size, Segments, Share, Key Players and Grow. MarketWatch
- Merkle Inc. (2021). The State of Customer Experience Transformation. Merkle Inc.
- Mordor Intelligence (2021). Digital Marketing Software Market – Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact and Forecasts (2021 – 2026). Mordor Intelligence
- Newswires (2021, November 10). Content Marketing Software Market Size Projected to Reach USD 21.91 Billion at CAGR of 17.9%, By 2028. Newswires
- PR Newswire (2021, October 27). Litmus Releases “2021 State Of Email” Report, Unveiling Key Best Practices, Insights into Email Marketing. PR Newswire
- PR Newswire (2021, July 1). Global Digital Marketing Software Market to Reach $129.3 Billion by 2026. PR Newswire
- Research and Markets (2021). Marketing Automation Software Market. Research and Markets
- Rodriguez, M. (2021, January). 78% Of Marketers Drive Customer Engagement Via Push Notifications. Demand Gen Report
- Salesforce (2021). State of Marketing Report 7th Edition. Salesforce
- Salesforce (2021). State of the Connected Customer 4th edition. Salesforce
- Sanfilippo, M. (2021, January 18). Email Marketing Best Practices and Predictions for 2021. Business.com
- Sprout Social (2021). Sprout Social Index Edition XVII: Accelerate. Sprout Social
- Stahl, S. (2021, October 31). B2B Content Marketing Insights for 2022: More Budget, More Work, More Empathy. Content Marketing Institute
- WebEngage (2021). Marketing Automation in 2022. WebEngage
- White, T. (2021). HBR Survey Shows Sales and Marketing Efforts Accelerate Through AI. Harvard Business Review
- Wyzowl (2021). Video Marketing Statistics 2021. Wyzowl
- Yahoo Finance (2021, August 5). Digital Marketing Software Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Solution, By Service, By Deployment, By Enterprise Size, By End-use, By Region And Segment Forecasts, 2021 – 2028. Yahoo Finance
- Yahoo Finance (2022, January 1). The global marketing automation software market is set to record a CAGR of 10.23% during the forecast period, 2022-2030. Yahoo Finance