What is the best payroll software?
The best payroll software is Gusto when it comes to flexibility and scalability. The solution provides a cloud-based interface and can address the requirements of both small businesses and enterprises. With its ability to integrate into a wide range of business systems, Gusto ensures the accuracy of data and efficiency of processes between your finance and HR teams.
At the onset of the COVID-19 outbreak, the lockdown mandates have not only temporarily and/or permanently closed brick-and-mortar businesses, the pandemic has also changed how internal business processes operate. Processing payroll has been more challenging, especially with the updates being implemented including the Paycheck Protection Program or PPP. Furthermore, the requests for unemployment claims have significantly increased. For small businesses that are still handling payments with Excel sheets, the changes can be quite challenging and confusing, and cause delays in payment processing.
Fortunately, there are payroll software solutions that are readily available in today’s market. And in this article, we walk you through some of the best payroll software solutions that might be ideal for your business.
Under the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), small businesses in the United States were given the opportunity to apply for a loan of up $10 million in order to continue paying their employees amid the COVID-19 crisis. Despite the assistance, 32% of loan recipients still had to lay off employees or cut their wages even before the year ended.
Cutting down wages and the number of their employees were just among the many changes small businesses have to deal with. Because of the pandemic, they also have to accommodate the adjustments in healthcare, insurance, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. For the employees who were able to keep their jobs between March 13 and December 31, 2020, they were given up to $5,000 retention credit but only if they had not yet benefitted from the PPP. Other changes include paid sick leave tax credits, which grant emergency paid leaves to employees who have to quarantine or have been potentially infected by COVID-19.
Incorporating these changes in the payroll structure can be taxing even to companies with a solid accounting department. For small businesses, especially those who are still processing their payroll manually, keeping up with all of the modifications on top of handling the usual accounting challenges can be a nightmare. While this can be alleviated by adopting software systems dedicated to handling finances, small businesses have a history of either purchasing them too late or not purchasing them at all.
Source: Intuit QuickBooks, 2020
But if you are a small business owner who is now ready to shift to using cloud-based payroll solutions and currently looking for the payroll software that can work the best for you, our list of 20 best payroll software providers of 2022 is a good place to start.
Gusto revolutionized in many ways the quality of digitized payroll small businesses were entitled to, and grew up to be one of world’s leaders in accurate benefits management. Described as ‘refreshingly easy’, Gusto helps managers save an incredible amount of time, and eliminates cumbersome errors caused by multiplied data entry.
What makes Gusto so successful? The platform delivers a solid set of payroll features, coupled with an unusually well-designed user interface, and constant innovations that help customers keep up with all payroll trends. Plus, businesses get to use it at a fair price tailored to their exact needs, and integrate it easily until it fits their most specific needs. Gusto is capable of automating the calculation, payment, and submission of a company’s local, state and federal payroll taxes.
Try out Gusto with their free trial
In the meanwhile, it will ensure that businesses can pay through direct deposit or check, automate calculations, year-end forms, and taxation to avoid critical errors, and save even more time handling bookkeeping on its own. At the same time, this system excels in benefits management, as it covers 01(k), and workers’ comp insurance nationwide, which means that benefits apply anywhere in California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas and Washington, with more states coming soon.
What is unique about Gusto?
- Error-proof payroll management. Gusto will not only minimize critical human errors, but eliminate those completely. Now that you won’t have to enter data in several different apps and websites, you will take things easy, and let the system calculate deductions without you being involved at all.
- Information available at all times. Gusto makes it easy to pull off important information, including employee contact data, I-9s, W-2s, time off balances, and much more. For the purpose, you will only have to log into the system using your credentials.
- End-to-end payroll automation. With a single entry of your team’s data, Gusto lets you decide how your employees are paid, and how their paystubs, tax filings, and W-2s ought to be handled. In fact, employees can insert and modify their own data, and have all local, state, and federal taxes automated in their forms.
- Benefits administration. Gusto takes care of employment tax reporting and payment, comp insurance, hire/leave reports, and detailed budget plans. Your team will also have access to dedicated benefits advisors with years of health care experience.
- Integrated 401(k). Gusto allows you to set up and manage 401(k) plans with unparalleled ease, and enable employees to save money for their retirement.
2. QuickBooks Pro
QuickBooks Pro is the top choice when it comes to payroll software solutions for it has all the advanced tools that users need to fully automate the entire payroll process. In fact, it has a full-service plan that now allows users to fully rely on the vendor’s dedicated in-house experts to automate and handle the entire payroll process. It offers data-driven modern tools that you may not even know.
QuickBooks Pro is easily the best payroll software solution for it solved the top three problems that plague payroll systems: inaccuracy, delay, and tax compliance. QuickBooks Pro tools are always accurate for bookkeeping and accounting is always done in real-time. Hence, only correct payroll data is shown at any given time.
Try out QuickBooks Payroll with their free trial
Successful businesses have happy employees. Employees are happy when they receive their pay on-time. QuickBooks Pro had this covered with its one-day direct deposit tool. This way, a delay is avoided.
Likewise, tax compliance is a messy and confusing process and QuickBooks Pro solved this by providing tax features that make data-pooling and submission hassle-free. On top of it, all its robust payroll features are mobile-friendly making it possible for users to handle payroll concerns on-the-go.
What is unique about QuickBooks Pro?
- Self-service Payroll Plan. QuickBooks Pro is a top choice for it gives more room to its users when it comes to personalizing plans. Their users have the option to fully handle the entire payroll process and proceed with transactions that cater to their particular needs. The self-service plan is also cost-efficient.
- Full-service Payroll Plan. QuickBooks Pro is the leader when it comes to providing automated accounting services. Full-service Plan users will find themselves having more time at hand as all payroll concerns are accurately attended to by QuickBooks experts.
- 24-hour Direct Deposit. Payments will always be on time with QuickBooks Pro tools that can transfer funds on a one-day turnaround.
- Print and File W2s. Complying with legal requirements is easy as all forms and requirements are readily accessible and print-ready with QuickBooks Pro built-in tax tools.
- Tax no-penalty guarantee. QuickBooks Pro boasts of a no-penalty guarantee when it comes to the filing of taxes. This is made possible through its built-in scheduler and real-time status tracker that notifies its users of periodical tax requirements months, weeks, and days prior submission. Filing can be done instantly through a reliable real-time preparation process.
Detailed QuickBooks Payroll Review
OnPay is a popular payroll solution both for its ease-of-use and extensive features. It is highly-suitable for small and medium enterprises owing to the highly-scalable solutions that it offers. The software is cloud-based and can streamline payroll processes and automate tax filing and payment. Payroll information such as hours, bonuses, tips and reimbursements can easily be entered using the platform. Other processes such as benefits and compensation insurance can also be managed.
The vendor offers a great free trial that lets you try out key features first. You can easily sign up for OnPay free trial.
Try out OnPay with their free trial
The solution can handle unlimited monthly payroll runs for W-2 workers and 1099 for contract staff. Users, depending on preference, can make payments through check or direct deposit. But they have to apply for the functionality and successfully take a risk assessment test first to be able to use it. With features such as these, OnPay can be labeled as one of those platforms that gives users value for their money.
What is Unique About OnPay?
- Worker self-service. OnPay enables employees to enter their own personal data into the system, edit them and pull paystubs and tax forms with the online access that the software provides. This functionality helps managers save time and focus on more pressing concerns. Businesses who have new employees, on the other hand, can enjoy the comfort of the product automatically doing the reporting for them.
- Better payroll compliance. A veteran in the payroll services game, OnPay is highly-familiar with the mechanisms of payroll tax preparation. It is capable of handling both IRS and state taxes while making payroll runs. The process includes tax calculation, payment and form filling. In the event that computation errors on the part of the software occur, the resulting fines will be shouldered by the vendor. For users who have concerns, the vendor offers support from certified payroll professionals who are available on weekdays.
- Management of HR processes. Document storage and note taking are integral parts of the payroll process. Good thing the platform allows users to do these, along with other capabilities. Using the solution, one can add comments, format or even edit notes. Users are likewise given access to an online library where one can avail of employee handbook templates and state employment law references. In addition, accrued time can easily be tracked for 3-tier PTO, vacation and sick accruals.
- Health insurance benefits management. Using OnPay, one can administer health insurance on a nationwide basis. The solution helps customers better understand benefits such as medical, vision and dental offerings by enabling them to work with licensed insurance brokers. Benefits calculation, being integrated into the system, is likewise streamlined. What’s good is that users do not have to pay for researching insurance and quotes. The platform can likewise automate 401(k) plan management owing to its secure harbor plans and contribution matching features.
- Streamlined payroll. Perhaps OnPay’s best feature is that it allows for unlimited pay runs. With this functionality, users can run payrolls according to their requirements without having to make additional payments. There is no longer the need to enter data as staff information are stored in a single location. The system’s user-friendly interface is designed to be mobile, enabling quick and easy processing of payrolls.
4. Sage 50cloud
Sage 50cloud is an intelligent payroll software solution that provides real-time intuitive tools with robust third-party integrations. Its competitive edge lies on its Employee Self Service Portals. This feature secures an accurate timesheet with triplicate verification from the accountant, the employer, and the employee. This feature can singlehandedly secure that all data are accurate and accounted for.
You can check out its features easily when you sign up for a Sage 50cloud trial.
Sage 50cloud is ahead in the game as it provides tools for legally compliant e-payslips making all relevant files and data easily accessible in the cloud. Its legal team annually updates payroll framework in line with developments in legislation. It also offers a complete HR suite that integrates seamlessly with its payroll software.
What makes Sage 50cloud unique?
- Integrations. Sage 50cloud integrates with robust third-party apps like Bill.com, BQE Core, and Office 365. Through it, more tools are provided to its users like video calls and on-the-go file access.
- Finance Reports. Sage 50cloud is a leading provider of financial reports. Its users have full access to such data analytics. Data reports can be received on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Real-time access. The software and all its integrated tools are accessible on the cloud together with real-time data 24/7. Intelligent business decisions can always be executed as all data are always updated.
- Photo receipts. Sage 50cloud offers a paperless payroll process. Together with e-payslips, it also offers a receipt capturing tool that makes bookkeeping and accounting easy through digital photos. This tool allows for expenses to be tracked in real-time.
- Direct bank feeds. Sage 50cloud provides an outstanding tool that allows its users to have direct bank feeds. Through it, payment can be made in an instant. Profit-monitoring and expense-tracking are always up to date and accurate with bank records.
Detailed Sage 50cloud Review
Unlike Gusto, Xero doesn’t specialize solely in payroll and benefits management, but rather delivers a compact accounting & online bookkeeping set that helps govern your cash flow beginning-to-end. Offering a real-time visibility into the state of your accounts and progress of your transactions, Xero makes it possible to run your business as a pro, even when you don’t have any accounting experience.
What to expect from Xero? This powerful system is packed with advanced functionalities, among which advanced invoicing & quotes, banking, credit card and PayPal reconciliation, accelerated inventory management, calculated payroll and managed taxes, purchase orders and expense control, and over 500 useful integrations with third-party apps.
The system’s Payroll module is well organized and easy to understand, and specializes in tracking working hours and approving leave with controlled access for employees. This means that XeroMe Android- and iOS-friendly app is available for employees to view their payslips, submit their timesheets, and apply for leave, and make it possible for the manager to report on their activity by simply checking their portfolio.
What is unique about Xero?
- All the tools you need. Xero offers an easy-to-use payroll & accounting software where you can organize all payroll information. From the comfort of a single system, you will manage payroll, pensions, and finances, update your accounts and create HMRC submissions, track working hours, and manage leave and process pay.
- Dedicated mobile apps. In order to provide self-service for your employees, Xero will give you mobile apps for both Android and iOS users, and let them view their payslips, submit their timesheets, and apply for leave.
- A variety of accounting functions. Within Xero’s Accounts menu, you can find and alter checks, bank accounts, and expense claims and create records for your payroll needs. If you’re really rushing to move money around, you can consider their Express Setup feature, or contact the Help Center to provide you with an accurate roadmap on how to add users, insert information in the Chart of accounts, or connect your bank feeds
- Data-driven decisions. All standard finance and payroll reports are available in Xero, including Balance sheets, Income Statements, and Cash Flow records. You can also use Xero’s reporting to filter important transactions per category, or draft prolific invoicing histories based on cash flow observations.
- Minimized probability of financial fraud. Xero has a unique multiple-approval model and two-factor authentication, which minimizes the probability of financial fraud. For every transaction, there will be a detailed list of performed actions, including dates, users, and manual notes.
Wave is the common choice of freelance accountants, and small and medium business teams, right because it delivers most of its core functionality for free. The all-in-one accounting and expense management kit does an amazing payroll job, automating both payment and tax calculation to the ease of a busy and worried manager. It works for weekly, biweekly, monthly or semi-monthly pay periods, but also makes it possible for the user to introduce a unique payment scheme, and compensate also project-based and part-time employees. To make matters even better, Wave enables direct deposits for fast and painless payments, and gives employees self-service access to their pay stubs and online tax forms. As expected, accuracy is guaranteed in all cases.
What is unique about Wave?
- Free to use. Wave is a free-to-use accounting & payroll application, and there are no hidden charges and undeclared fees to worry about. This makes it perfect for small businesses, startups, and companies with remote and part-time personnel.
- No delayed payments. Wave also allows you to pay your team from anywhere with the right amount. You can conveniently use online pay stubs or choose direct deposits to deliver your team their payment.
- Transferring funds on preferred accounts. Wave gives employees full access to self-service pay stubs and tax forms, and supports direct deposits to let them transfer funds to their preferred account, from the comfort of a single dashboard.
- Working in line with your business specifications. Wave will handle your payment scheme, as complex as it may be. It is designed to manage both hourly or salaried employees, for a weekly, biweekly, monthly or semi-monthly pay periods.
- End-to-end accounting solution. With Wave, creating professional looking invoices, estimates, and receipts is a smooth process. From this software, you can monitor the status of all your invoices and payments. The system also enables users to accept payments via credit cards, giving you and your customers unparalleled convenience.
For quite a while, Zenefits has been the leader of the payroll software industry, as the first platform designed to manage HR through the prism of payroll and benefits administration, and a pocket-friendly solution that caters to SMBs rather than their large counterparts. The platform’s Payroll module simplifies the calculation of earnings, deductions, benefits, and taxes against minimal intervention, and connects to a number of other payroll solutions (Zenefits Pay Connect) to spare you the trouble of transferring data. It is also free to use, and offers a unique Time Off app for managers looking to manage attendance on mobile devices.
What is unique about Zenefits?
- A variety of benefits management options. With Zenefits, you have the option to keep your existing benefit plans, or choose from an extensive selection of new benefits options available in the system. The platform handles all types of insurance benefits, including medical, dental, and visual coverage.
- Compliance with the Affordable Care Act and taxation requirements. Using Zenefits, you are assured that your business will be able to comply easily with the complexities of the Affordable Care Act, and you are able to report on employee benefit eligibility and coverage status, as well as to quickly e-file taxes with the IRS.
- Human capital management kit. Zenefits streamlines hiring, onboarding, and employee records management, and supports your hiring and onboarding efforts. All modifications are instantly applied across the platform, ensuring that your HR data is always up-to-date.
- Zenefits Pay Connect. Zenefits connects easily to the payroll/HR solution you’re using, so that it would minimize the work necessary to migrate employee and benefits data from one system to the other. You can use it will all popular providers, including Gusto, Intuit, and Paychex.
- Free to use. The same as Wave, Zenefits is a no-charge HR & payroll management system.
8. ADP Workforce Now
ADP Workforce Now is a prominent suite of payroll, time & labor services targeting exclusively mid-sized companies (50-990 employees). The tool puts in place accurate payroll processing with all hours and schedules accounted for, as well as unique functions alike new hire reporting, access to dedicated expertise, and a streamlined implementation process. Another distinctive advantage of this system is 100% tax compliance, which not only refers to filling in and submitting tax forms, but also to managing paycheck deductions for federal, state, and local taxes. In fact, with ADP Workforce Now, you will get a single system to respond to regulatory compliance in all US states, and have all data gathered in one location for hassle-free reporting. Better yet, ADP Workforce now is a quote-priced system where clients get to participate in the crafting of their packages, and have those offered in a unique price they can afford.
What is unique about ADP Workforce Now?
- Web-based dashboard. ADP Workforce Now coordinates your workforce management from a single, fully web-based dashboard. this dashboard syncs immediately with the native Android and iOS apps, gives you full visibility of statistics and reports, and enables you to manage your HR anytime, anywhere.
- Real-time analytics & data security. ADP displays analytics in real-time and you can create customized spreadsheets, graphs, charts, and reports. The app is fully web based and offers hosting along with your package, featuring server audits and regular security backups.
- Facilitated tax filling. ADP Workforce Now helps you to minimize administrative duties and errors with real-time payroll calculations. Plus, it makes it possible to leverage the help of compliance experts to get more peace of mind.
- Time & Attendance control. Another way in which ADP Workforce Now helps you improve productivity is with automated time tracking, reporting features, and employee self-service that is accessible on mobile devices.
- COBRA management. The app supports COBRA events to trigger notifications to employees and other beneficiaries, and let them know whether they meet the qualifying event requirements under COBRA.
Detailed ADP Workforce Now Review
9. Sage HRMS
Sage HRMS is another flexible alternative for payroll management and regulatory compliance that can meet the needs of diverse teams, replacing a number of outdated, traditional methods with modern practices. The strongest side of this system is the payroll expertise secured by PayCheck, a new addition to the platform that lets managers customize the tool in line with their exact payment policies. To put you in control of your labor data, Sage HRMS will also reduce compliance and regulatory risks, boost productivity by connecting you to other Sage solutions, and track all forms of time offs and absences on a mobile device. With Sage HRMS, you will have the peace of mind that your tax filing is errors-free, and you will meet all state and federal reporting requirement.
What is unique about Sage HRMS?
- Impeccable reputation. Sage belongs to one of the best productivity software suits in the world, and works in synergy with other popular Sage products, including Sage 100 ERP, Sage 50, Sage People, Sage One, and more.
- End-to-end HR suite. Sage HRMS was created by HR professionals and experts which means the software is purely designed to ensure that businesses have all the tools and features they need for all processes involving recruitment, performance management, talent management and development.
- A more productive system. Instead of a traditional time clock, Sage HRMS uses employee self-service delivered in cloud, and connects to other Sage products for maximal productivity.
- Sage PayChoice. Sage PayChoice has been added to the HRMS portfolio just recently, and gives you a more comprehensive, full-service payroll management offering.
- Return On Employee Investment (ROEI). The Payroll functionality of Sage HRMS allows companies to fully realize their Return On Employee Investment (ROEI), as well as improve their HR and payroll business processes.
Detailed Sage HRMS Review
10. Intuit Payroll
You can use Intuit Payroll both as a standalone module, or in connection with your QuickBooks account. The new-era payroll management service is a leader of innovation, and lets you create an unlimited number of paychecks and manage payroll quickly and easily. The workers’ comp payment service assures that you will pay each employee what you owe them, and grow your business with free payment and hiring advice. Live experts and payroll specialists are always there to give you a hand in need, and to make sure you’re complying with all mandatory Federal and state labor regulations. On top of that, Intuit Payroll is a very affordable solution that comes in three moderate packages to suit various business needs and budgets.
What is unique about Intuit Payroll?
- No Penalty guarantee. Payroll can instantly generate unlimited paychecks; perform payroll taxes calculations automatically, and adjust accounting info using its integration with another Intuit (QuickBooks). The top package also offers a “No Penalty” guarantee, meaning you don’t have to worry about non-compliance and missing deadlines.
- Adjusts easily to mandatory policies. Intuit Payroll is designed to keep up with all existing mandatory policies, including poster compliance in accordance with Federal and State labor laws.
- Accurate payments. Intuit Payroll helps in improving the cash flow of your business by ensuring that you compensate your workers accurately. With the system’s integrated workers’ compensation payment service, you only pay what you owe your employees.
- Top customer support. Intuit Payroll is also known for its high quality support. Whether you need top class expertise on complicated matters or just someone to guide you through the initial setup, Intuit Payroll fields a team of specialists to get you through.
- Works for businesses of all sizes and industries. With Intuit Payroll, the size or mission of your company doesn’t matter. The system was designed to meet the needs of small, medium, and large businesses equally well.
Detailed Intuit Payroll Review
Justworks specializes in complex payroll schemes coverage, and delivers a one-of-a-kind solution for businesses managing one-off and part time workers. Aside of being a compact HR management suite, Justworks makes it possible to inject your own rules, and create brand new PTO policies to track and manage accruals your own way. This means that you can apply it to manage time off requests, create and fill out simple pay card for part-time employees, make individual payments to partner and contractors at no additional cost, and have all this data automatically combined for your reporting needs. Meanwhile, Justworks will give employees access to their payment data, and invite them to enroll in the best benefits scheme for their needs.
What is unique about Justworks?
- In time payments within complex payment schemes. Justworks makes sure that you are a step ahead. Whether you have part time workers or full time employees, you will be able to deliver all the payments on time. Not only that but your vendors and external client payments are also managed on timely basis so that your business doesn’t suffer in anyway.
- Management of special and one-time payments. Justworks is very flexible, and designed for companies looking to manage direct deposit payrolls, reimbursements and bonuses, and account for those in their current reporting scheme. With Justworks, you can customize nearly everything!
- Adopts your vacation-and-leave policies. Using Justworks, you can create and customize your company policies regarding vacations and leaves. Time off requests, holiday calendars, sick leaves and much more can now be managed through a single interface.
- Top benefits partnerships. To give your employees maximum benefits, Justworks has partnered with top benefit providers. What’s more is that your employees can manage their profiles online too. Benefits include medical, dental and vision health.
- Personalized dashboard for each employee. Each of your employee gets their own unique dashboard where they can view their complete profile and performance for their company;. They can enroll in benefits programs, view their payment details, request for leaves and also access documents that are relevant to them.
Detailed Justworks Review
12. Dayforce HCM
Dayforce HCM’s core functionality is advanced employee self-service, given that the platform puts the payee in control of what he is receiving, and eases the burden of tax forms submission for both sides. Thanks to it, employees can employees to view and manage their pay information anywhere, and at any time, manage direct deposit details and view or print year-end tax forms, and pull off detailed statements on their yearly earnings with little to no intervention by your side. As an administrator, you will be able to preview net pay, make edits and adjustments, and view results in real-time to ensure that you comply with all relevant regulations. Last, but not least, Dayforce is a system that crafts rich audits on your payroll activities, and lets you come up with unique reports, such as active employees not paid, missing information, or zero-dollar checks.
What is unique about Dayforce HCM?
- Putting employees in charge of their payment. With Dayforce HCM, you will allow employees to check on their payment information wherever they might be located. They will see their pay breakdown as an easy-to-read graph, access their full statement of earnings with a mobile device, and even manage direct deposit details and view or print year-end tax forms.
- Mobile time management. With Dayforce HCM, managers can check, edit, and approve the time cards of their employees using a mobile device, and staff up on the basis of actual customer traffic. This will also make it easier to handle and approve on-shift requests, and assign the right client to the right person.
- Dayforce Touch TimeClock. This handy feature will make it possible to minimize time card review cycles, and capture only accurate attendance data. It will also help you calculate all Federal, State, and Provincial gross pay rules in addition to company specific shift premiums.
- Dynamic benefits coverage. Dayforce HCM gives both managers and employees access to their current and historical benefits data, and minimizes in such way multiple entry errors and redundancy.
- International system. As a Ceridian product, Dayforce HCM offers multi-currency and multi-language support, as well as additional help for international personnel tracking.
Detailed Dayforce HCM Review
Namely is a full-service payroll & HR administration system for modern businesses that offers expert support to small businesses and first time users. It comes packed with out-of-the-box functionalities that let you adjust it to your modus operandi, including automated benefit deductions, year-end reporting (ready-to-use W-2s and 1099s), payroll reconciliation with standard reporting, time tracking, and end-to-end ACA compliance. To make your work a bit easier, Namely also grants employees full access to their pay stubs and paycheck history, and works in synergy with other payroll and HR solutions for an unobstructed flow of information. In case, you will also get excellent customer assistance and a dedicated Account Manager to help you develop smarter payroll practices.
What is unique about Namely?
- Compact HR solution. Namely’s large base of HCM features includes a mix of payroll, benefits administration, a robust HRIS, 360° performance reviews, time off tracking, goals, team planning, reporting, and more.
- A powerful permissions engine. To avoid compromising your sensitive payroll data, Namely introduces an out-of-the-box permissions engine, thanks to which organizations can build layered access levels to protect specific information, reports, views, and functions from unauthorized individuals.
- Simplified tax filling. Namely allows you to fill local, state, and federal payroll tax forms online, and ensures full ACA compliance (094s and 1095s) for an error-prone benefits administration. You can then use its standard reporting suite to reconcile payroll, or pull off custom performance statements.
- Employee access. With Namely, all employees will have online profiles to check and compare data, and view directly their paystubs and paycheck history.
- Noteworthy customer support. Namely provides a dedicated Account Manager for each client and can deliver 24/7 support in using all features within Namely’s platform. At the same time, customers can use an extensive library of training materials to optimize the power of this system.
Ultimate Software’s UltiPro is the company’s flagship HCM and payment solution that connects different HR, compensation, talent, payroll, and time and labor management apps. As a professional, enterprise-first HR service UltiPro handles complex payroll computations and requirements for employees in Canada and the US, and enables multinational organizations to engage employees locally, ensure targeted compliance, and keep all of their global workforce members managed by the same platform. It is also a great alternative for accurate reporting, given that it pulls data across all areas of your people management to capture key metrics in an instant. What the system is best known for is the Succession Management module, namely a unique possibility for the manager to create a proactive, executable plan for professional growth and career for his employees.
What is unique about UltiPro?
- Payroll Administration, Tax Management, and Compliance. As an all-in-one system, UltiPro handles even complex payroll computations and requirements for employees in Canada and the U.S. in just a few simple steps. At the same time, it offers an intuitive benefits enrollment experience for employees that guides them to make well-informed benefits choices for themselves and their families.
- UltiPro TouchBase. UltiPro TouchBase is an easy-to-use, tablet-based timeclock, employee self-service device, and labor data collection platform. In addition to being the point-of-time entry, UltiPro TouchBase also provides your hourly employees with kiosk-based access to HR and payroll information from a touchscreen device.
- Time tracking & management. UltiPro Time Management automates and simplifies time tracking. You can support all levels of your organization to complete time entry with ease and efficiency, integrate with employee and pay information, and receive automatic labor law and compliance updates.
- Workforce analytics and BI. UltiPro’s reporting and business intelligence tools will help you gain complete visibility and insight into your workforce. UltiPro allows you to pull data across all areas of your people management to capture key metrics in an instant.
- Support with recruiting and onboarding. UltiPro Recruiting can help you expand your recruiting processes by supporting candidate engagement and relationships as well as attracting, hiring, and developing the best talent for your business. The Onboarding module, on the other hand, helps your new employees connect to your company in a personal and meaningful way enabling you to build successful relationships, increase engagement, and improve performance.
SurePayroll was established with a single purpose – to make payroll operations simpler, without compromising their efficiency. For years so far, it has assisted small and medium businesses pay their employees, make the correct deductions and file taxes the easy way, automating a variety of cumbersome operations on the mangers’ behalf. For instance, SurePayroll calculates, prepares, and files independently Social Security, Medicare, FUTA, SUI, W-2, 1099, 940 and 941 forms, and provides you 6/7 access to a taxation specialist that can solve your issues. Next to full-time employees, you can manage the payment of hourly and part-time workers, remote teams, and independent contractors, and run your payroll from virtually any device.
What is unique about SurePayroll?
- The simplest payroll administration. SurePayroll is ideals for startups and inexperienced users, given that you can manage payroll in three simple steps – You insert the hours, salaries, and related employee data as reflected so far, you choose the taxes that ought to be deducted, and you approve the payroll.
- Mobile payroll. SurePayroll offers dedicated apps for Android and Apple device users, and the accomplishment of its operations is not limited to a particular browser, operating system, or location. This makes it the perfect system for international and remote teams.
- Customizable business forms. Within SurePayroll’s library, you will discover hundreds of standard business and HR forms which you can tailor to your exact needs. The list includes I-9s, employment applications, interview checklists, and many more.
- Time clock integrations. To save your time and to help you avoid errors and inconsistencies, SurePayroll integrates with all leading time clock and attendance monitoring applications.
- Compliance Center. To make sure that your work complies with government labor law posting requirements and regulations, SurePayroll provides dedicated compliance assistance, and offers a one-of-a-kind $25,000 guarantee against non-compliance fees.
Detailed SurePayroll Review
PeopleSoft is Oracle’s leading HR technology, and a product that comes handy for all recruit-to-manage procedures regardless of the industry you belong to. With PeopleSoft, you can HR globally and on a single system of record, while complying with relevant local laws and regulations. The tool makes it possible to simplify payment and administration through automated time capture and absence management, and enables a global payroll architecture designed to adopt even the more complex and diverse payment schemes. In parallel, it handles a variety of specialized benefit plans, and handles taxation needs with the precision only Oracle tools can ensure.
What is unique about PeopleSoft?
- All core HCM features. With PeopleSoft, you can manage HR globally and from a single system of records, while complying with local laws and regulations and industry requirements.
- Global payroll. PeopleSoft’s Payroll suite delivers efficiency, improves control over worldwide payroll operations, and allows best practices to be replicated across the enterprise. The suite is rules-based, and consolidates disparate payroll operations for multiple countries by using a single database.
- Delivered country extensions. By using PeopleSoft’s delivered country extensions, you can easily isolate country-specific regulations, processes, reports, self-service, and user-defined rules from the core application.Payroll expenses will then also be segmented and arranged per country.
- A number of common North American payroll features. PeopleSoft targets predominately the US market, which is why it offers common NA payroll functionalities including arrears processing rules, retroactivity processing, off-cycle payroll runs, and bank-related information.
- Talent management. With PeopleSoft, you will also be able to hire and manage talented performers, as the system offers you a globalized Manager Desktop for compensation administration, and lets you plan their succession and monitor their learning progress.
Detailed PeopleSoft Review
17. Paychex Flex
Paychex Flex is a small-biz friendly payroll management solution that assembles payroll and taxes, 401 (k) retirement services, insurance, HR, employee benefits, accounting and finance and PEO in a single, moderately priced package. At the same time, the cloud-based suite automates applicant tracking and expense management, making recruiting and expense processes more efficient, and lets users configure it to their expectations. What you will also get as a Paychex Flex user is fundamental and strategic HR knowledge, all gathered in a searchable collection of webinars, articles, videos, blue papers, and more. The same system can be used for payment & transaction processing, and offers one of the most diverse benefit enrollment schemes.
What is unique about Paychex Flex?
- Advanced payroll and tax administration. Compact payroll & tax administration services alike Paychex offer complete peace of mind and take care of the federal state laws and local regulations. Businesses can handle tax payments themselves if they want to and have complete control over their cash flows.
- A system to learn from. Paychex provides businesses, entrepreneurs and HR professionals with the fundamental and strategic knowledge. The knowledge enables them to take timely action in a constantly changing HR landscape through an easily searchable collection of webinars, articles, videos, blue papers and more.
- Employee benefits services. Paychex Flex’s employee benefit services include retirement and 401 (K), insurance and online benefits management. PAYCHEX also offers accounting and finance solutions that include payment processing services, expense management, Kashoo online accounting integration, online benefits management, and more.
- One solution for all HR needs. Paychex is in fact a complex HR suite that consists of several HR management modules, and you can use it for recruiting, onboarding, applicant tracking, time and attendance tracking, benefits administration, and retirement management purposes.
- Detailed insights for employees. Paychex is one of market’s leaders when it comes to employee self-service, as it enables the members of your team to see their pay stubs and Forms W-2, review their benefits, punch in and out of the time and attendance system, edit their retirement contributions and investments, and even quest time off and check time-off balances.
18. Workday Payroll
Workday is another solution crafted for a streamlined and global payroll experience, and a fresh alternative to traditional HR and legacy ERP systems. It comes with one of the most versatile customer bases, counting as many as 280 permanent clients, among which several Fortune 500 companies. The system is flexible, very insightful, and restores control in the hands of HR manages interested to guide HCM, time tracking, and payroll management from a single dashboard. At the moment, enterprise payroll services are offered in the U.S., Canada, the UK, and France, but interested clients from other countries can use Workday Global Payroll Cloud to build certified integrations, and make use of its numerous modern payroll functions.
What is unique about Workday Payroll?
- Payroll your way. Workday helps regain control, visibility, and flexibility over your payroll and HCM operations, by letting them govern those your own way. You can automate payroll and configure changes without the help of an IT professional.
- Global payroll services. Workday’s payroll and compliance services are offered essentially in the USA, Canada, and France. Nonetheless, companies operating in different states can make use of the vendor’s robust integrations with third-party providers to ensure all of their needs are met.
- No data reconciliation. Workday brings payroll, finance management, and tax reporting into a single system, so that you won’t have to worry about data reconciliation and avoid the usual mistakes and inconsistencies. R, benefits, compensation, and time transactions all automatically reflected in your payroll, and you can access the labor trends in real time.
- Flexibility. Workday Payroll is also known for adapting easily to new regulatory changes, HR policies, and organizational changes. You will get a unified Compliance dashboard where you can arrange pending obligations, and run payroll calculations for an individual or group as often as you want.
- Actionable insights. With Workday, you can monitor your payroll register by cost center, location, pay period, or pay group. You get always-on audits to proactively flag errors and resolve them, and full visibility into your general ledger before payroll completes and view journal entry lines.
19. Patriot Payroll
Patriot Payroll is easy to distinguish on any list of solid payroll solutions, as it tackles the issue of how you’re compensating workforce entirely from an accounting perspective. The fresh approach towards compensation & benefits management proved out to be a successful strategy, as Patriot is now the leading deliverer of basic payroll kits for startups and small businesses, which is hassle-free to use, and requires no prior experience. For as little as $7.50 a month, you will also get a non-accountant friendly finance management suite, and track your cashflow like a pro. What Patriot Payroll is best known for is data security, as its servers are located in secure data centers, and protected by redundant firewalls and sophisticated encryption techniques. Note that the accounting and the payroll module are completely independent, and you can purchase each of them separately.
What is unique about Patriot Payroll?
- Simplified payroll for small businesses. Patriot’s basic online payroll service significantly simplifies the way you pay your employees. Setting up is not much of a hassle as the customer support will help you get started with your payroll, from entering the details of your employees, payroll tax information, historical data, and more.
- Full Service Payroll. Full Service Payroll is designed for developing and large teams, and it handles federal, state, and local taxes in addition to the system’s core payroll functionalities. You can also use it to fill in missing 1099 information, and draft 1099/1096 summary reports.
- A variety of accounting functions. Patriot is predominantly an accounting application, and lets you bill and pay your contractors and vendors accurately, track those payments, and generate reports that you can send to your accountant.
- Neatly documented payments and transactions. Once you are done with payroll processing, Patriot lets you print paychecks with pre-printed paychecks or blank check stock. Or, if you want, you can opt to deliver salaries via direct deposit.
- Integrated payroll add-ons. Upon need, you can also expand Patriot’s functionality by integrating it with third-party and payroll-exclusive services distributed by other vendors.
Detailed Patriot Software Review
20. Vibe HCM
Vibe is another of our top payroll suggestions wrapped within a robust HCM suite, and a popular strategic employee solution that build and maintains compensation plans in a customer-tailored manner. It comes loaded with HCM features, including HR management, recruitment, payroll and benefits, onboarding, communications, talent management, and more. You will also appreciate its advanced analytics suite, and metrics alike employee surveys and leadership effectiveness scoring. Plus, Vibe HCM is another modular solution that lets users build the package they need, and pick only those functionalities that could be useful to them.
What is unique about Vibe HCM?
- All-in-one Recruitment & Payroll platform. With Vibe HCM, businesses and organizations are able to recruit, manage, connect and compensate their employees from a single application, thanks to its selection of products that are aimed to cover all the essential aspects of human capital management.
- All essential payroll features. Once you start using Vibe HCM, you will get access to advanced features such as automated payment processing, distribution and delivery, payroll reporting, banking services, customized general ledger upload, and other wage garnishments.
- Interactive onboarding experience. With Vibe HCM, employees find it easy to adapt to their new working environment. Social communication functions such as internal chat, a corporate news feed, and easy self-service functionality give employees quick and immediate access to any information they require.
- Automated filling for 50+ taxes. Vibe HCM helps you fill Federal, state and local tax forms and remittances, prepare quarterly and annual tax statements, and fill and approve amended returns.
- Modular approach. Vibe HCM allows users to pick and combine modules and functionalities depending on their particular needs. The decision is not a definite one, as the platform can be scaled and extended any time in the future.
The 20 best payroll software solutions on our list here will point you in the right direction to shortlisting your options. While all are vetted for reliability and functionality, it is still recommended that you go for their free trial to see firsthand how the features fit in your workflows and needs. A good start is to pick our top choice here and use it as the benchmark. You can easily sign up for Gusto free trial. If your payroll requirements are specific to small business, you can also check our best payroll systems for small business guide.